Thursday, June 06, 2024

Hope - Elections 2024

The Resident Optimist (my husband, henceforth called the RO in this post) told me around a year ago, “You will see, Modi is on his way out.” The skeptic, the pessimist in me didn’t say this, but thought, “Sometimes I hate this over-optimism of yours. At times I think you are a fool for thinking like that.” But on his face I said, “How I would love it, but I doubt it.” The RO (Resident Optimist) had just smiled that day. At me. Like you all, I had seen Modi wreak havoc on democratic institutions. His megalomania was touching new heights everyday. The lowest common denominator in the civil society, in judiciary, in public protest, in media was going low and low and low and people were like, “at least the government didn’t do this…” “at least we are alive…” And I would tell my children, “this is not the India we grew up in.” India is an idea, a contradiction, but India is real – India is secular. At least it tries to be. The RO, like many other Indians, had bought into the propaganda in 2014, “India needed a strong man image, and this guy will give it to India.” That day, I had almost wanted to divorce the RO for even suggesting that. But to his face, I had said, “Sorry, I do not subscribe to that view. This guy is dangerous for India. G0dhr@ is still alive in people’s memory. You will see the long lasting effects soon.” That day, the RO had gone quiet. It took him a couple of years to agree with me. A few days ago, the night the results begun to appear, I was on my computer, working on a translation. He was on the phone, with his friend in India. Around 12 midnight, he opens the door to my study, and gestures me to come take a look at the TV. I go, and instead of the TV, I look at his eyes. They were shining! News24 was on, and INDIA was leading. “NDA” was trailing. And then it was chal-so-chal. Leading, trailing, losing, winning. I laughed and he said it will take a few hours before picture becomes clear. I came back to my desk. A few minutes later, the IPTV Box stopped relaying News24. The RO came and asked what could have gone wrong. Between the two of us, I happen to be the tech-expert. Hah! “Check the other channels, maybe the internet is down.” I said. “No, the entire Godi Media is on, something is going on,” he said, “they have stopped relaying News24 !” Alright, are they doing the last ditch effort to stifle? I went to my computer, and opened their website and turned their live telecast on. It was working. So I suggested the RO to use his computer too. And then the game began to turn. I stayed awake until 2-50 am, excited, but then went to sleep.…. I think the RO stayed awake all night – working and waiting. Next morning, before brushing my teeth, I came and found him perched on the couch. “Whats happening?” “Nothing firm yet, but Mampi ji, India has voted differently.” Sure, now I was ready to believe him. In early December 2023, once sitting in a mehfil among friends, he had claimed that India will not allow him to continue, that Modi is out in 2024. That day, I had glanced at him indulgently – like a mother whose child has showed off the newest trick. And I had secretly hoped his wish would come true. Now his wish was coming true, and the next day was a conversation around the way India had reclaimed its democracy. My daughter asked me yesterday, “Why are you listening to this irritating fellow?” Modi was speaking in the BJP headquarters. “For cheap thrills, beta, for cheap thrills,” I had simply said. I had gotten busy in the work again, and asked the RO “How was the address of Himself?” “Buss roye hi nahi wo,” he chuckled. I am, like so many of you, enjoying this moment as long as it lasts. No point of this post, just waise ee. But I so wanted to thank all those who stood against these winds of injustice, and kept us afloat. All those who faced trolling but kept on using whatever weapons they could, to keep saying what needed to be said. Some names of those we know, and many names of those we dont know but need to be acknowledged. Amandeep Sandhu Kajal Basu, Orijit Sen, Arun Joshi, Arijit Nag Ravish Kumar Saurabh Kumar Shahi The DeshBhakt-Akash Bannerjee, Dr Medusa, the.ranting.gola Rajeev Nigam, Bhagat Ram Ajit Anjum Dhruv Ratheeand so many more. The list will be edited. Remind us of those that kept you hopeful in these dark times. #IndiaElections2024

No comments: